Sunday, August 23, 2009

From Tree to Table

Some of the plums have started to ripen but they seem to be struggling this year. Last year we had loads and loads of fat juicy plums even though it was a fairly wet summer. This year, although it is just as wet, the plums are growing differently in that a lot of them are going bad before they are even ready to pick. Is it the weather, is it some sort of insect or is the whole tree diseased in some way? I'm going to have to find out!

Yesterday I managed to pick a colander full but not many are ripe enough to eat raw so I decided to make a plum crumble so I could soften and sweeten some of the less ripe fruit.

I cooked them in a pan with a little water and some honey and then put the crumble topping over the softened plums.

Just half and hour in the oven and the crumble was ready to eat with some custard.


Today I made scones for afternoon tea. We will eat them with the plum jam that we made last year - we still have some jars left - perhaps next week this year's plums will be ripe enough to make some more.

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm my mouth is watering!
    My aunt made peaches jam and figs jam too. We also have plums but I don't think they're enough for jam.
    Enjoy your afternoon tea! Mmmmm, those scones...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The damsons are doing ok this year, I am just making damson and blackberry crumble!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this time of year - purely for all the produce that comes straight in from the garden. Scones and Jam look perfect for tea this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosie, sounds delicious to me. I always enjoy looking at the wonderful way you set up to pictures of what you are preparing...
    Thanks for your visits.
    Be well, be happy :D Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I do wish Edward and I could pop round for tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm your crumble looks delicious, sdly we only had 4 yes 4 plums on our tree this year. We did find a few ripe blackberries yesterday
    and had a blackberry and apple crumble. I'm new to blogging would you pop over and say hello ?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore crumble especially plum crumble when the juices have seeped through and make the topping sticky. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!!!! Our apples have had a lot of insects munching on them this year, wasps maybe? There have been more. I don't know much about it all, just my daughter makes lovely apple crumbles too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, scones with jam -to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so envious of your bowl of plums, and I need say no more about plum crumble! I am not much of a jam fan, but I do like plum. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scones... oh, Rosie... how could you? :-) I'm on a "diet"!!!

    ReplyDelete