Friday, February 03, 2012

National Libraries Day

Tomorrow is National Libraries Day.  I always use our local library and regularly reserve books on line that I want to read.  The one thing I don't enjoy anymore is the collecting and returning of books as nine times out of ten it doesn't involve human interaction.  There are machines which allow you, after scanning the bar code on your ticket, to issue and return books yourself.  You can also now look for any books you have reserved as the shelves for these are in the body of the library and no longer behind the counter.  You can go through a whole library visit without speaking to anyone.  Sometimes I like this;  other times I really don't.  But, I suppose we should be grateful that this process in now in operation as without it I expect we wouldn't have a library at all and that would be far far worse, wouldn't it?

There are events at many libraries on Saturday and people are asked to get involved and visit a library that day or in the week before.  The organisers suggest that to support your local library you should think about joining if you aren't already a member and if you are that you should use the library by taking out or reserving a book or two.   I was going to do this anyway so earlier this week I returned two books I had read, renewed two I still want to read and collected one I had reserved.


Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I agree Rosie, it is wonderful,that we have libraries , but there is nothing that will replace human contact...
    The more I am on the computer, the more i crave human interaction...
    Stay well my Dear !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our library is behind times apparently but that is okay; I rather like talking to a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ashamed to say that I'm a member but never use my local library. Maybe I should make the effort this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little we used to get the mobile library in my village - It was the highlight of my week. Library books have a different smell to other books. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still have humans in our local library thank goodness but I don't use it as often as I should. I found an Elly Griffiths book in a charity shop 'The Crossing Places' which I am reading at the moment but couldn't find any more - so maybe a visit to the library will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel guilty as I never go to my library nowadays. I read in the paper they ours has had the new machines to issue and return books installed recently. perhaps I should go and check it out. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love visiting the library when I was a child as I always loved books. I used Leek library a lot throughout my student days but I don't use it much now as it's quite small and doesn't have a huge selection. Dave has joined though as all his books are currently in boxes so he borrows a few from time to time.

    Julia Donaldson has just written a lovely poem about librabries in response to current goings on - you can find it easily by googling as it has been in the news today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to the library 3 times this week! We have self service as well but I have got used to it now. I used to love the library cards that were put inside the front cover of the book and the sheet stamped with the date to be returned (or was it the day they were borrowed?) and filed in a wooden box on the counter. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband who is 47 next week had never even read a book as an adult up until a year or two back. Then he suddenly got the habit and is forever reading. He only reads biographies though. He always has something reserved. I just reserved a new one about Les Dawson.

    I'd love to have a nosey around Longton library as in the building, its quite impressive.

    Hope you're OK, they have'nt gritted Lightwood road so I bet you're well and truely snowed in.

    ReplyDelete