Thursday, February 16, 2012

Scenes from the Last Few Days

On Tuesday we went for a walk along the canal in the market town of Stone.  We hadn't walked along this stretch of the Trent and Mersey canal for quite a while.

I love the old brewery building.  Joules is an old established company started in the town in the late 18th early 19th century by the Joule family.   Here is a - link - to the fascinating history of the Joule's involvement in the brewing industry and also their connection with the standard measure of energy known as 'the joule'.
After our walk we stopped for a coffee and a shared chocolate twist before setting off to Uttoxeter to visit the museum.


We don't visit Uttoxeter very often, I'm not sure why because it is a nice, friendly little town.



With lots of interesting buildings and alleyways.

The Museum didn't open until one o'clock so we decided to have some lunch at a little cafe in Old Saddler's Yard.


We didn't go into the Vintage Tea Emporium although it looked very interesting from the outside.  I think this would perhaps be a good place to have a birthday tea as a special treat.  We got to the Museum about 1.20p.m. and it still hadn't opened up even though notices on the door said it should be  so that was quite a disappointment. We could see the 17th century and wartime kitchens through the windows and it all looked interesting so I'm sure we'll go back another time to have a look.


In the evening we watched Nora Ephron's 'Julie and Julia' and really enjoyed it.  I know I'm late to this film as it has been out at least a couple of years but it is a feast for the eyes from beginning to end and well worth seeing if you haven't already - especially if you like Paris, French food, 50s clothes, blogging and marmalade coloured cats.


Yesterday we went to the New Vic Theatre in Newcastle to see another super production by Northern Broadsides -  this time it was Shakespeare's 'Love's Labour's Lost' directed by Barrie Rutter. 


As usual it was fast paced and well acted with faultless and humerous timing .  The company never fail to amaze me with each actor's ability to not only act but to sing, dance and play a musical instrument as well.  The play ends on a poignant note as the rip roaring Morris style 'stick dance' turns to the sweet, gentle singing of a traditional folk song as it draws to its spellbinding end. 

20 comments:

  1. We always go straight past Uttoxeter to get to Denstone to buy sausages! Maybe we should give it a go some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have had an enjoyable last few days. Uttoxeter looks like an interesting place to visit. I like the film Julie and Julia too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely day you had!!! Too bad the a museum was closed..it sounds like wonderful fun...if you do go back I would love to hear about it!! I must tell you how I love your reading list....you have opened the door to quite a few books I am adding to my list! Thank you so much...have a lovely day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We loved the film Julie and Julia, saw it last year, then ran it for our daughter at Christmas time and she loved it. I wanted to know more about Julia Childs and will probably read her autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a pretty good week so far!

    We've often driven through Uttoxeter and said it might be interesting to stop there one day but we never did!

    It looks nice from your photos so I'm inspired to go there one day now. Coincendentally I just sat down at my computer with a cup and tea and a chocolate twist - yours looked much nicer than my co-op one though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice time you are having. Julie And Julia is now a firm fave film - the shots in Paris are gorgeous. Uttoxeter looks interesting.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been to Uttoxeter, but it looks nice from your photos, I know Stone quite well though. :) Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. We spent holidays on the canals as children so I have some fond recollections of lock gates and narrow boats. I have just seen a book about walking the canals which looks quite good. We don't have many here in Essex but London on the other hand has many. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There used to be a fabric shop that stocked my bears in Uttoxeter. My friend also does her SW class there, I've done it a few times. I never knew it had a museum though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting few days.We always go past Uttoxter but maybe next time we will stop and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love canal towpath walks - probably because we don't have any near here! Sounds like a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting few days.We always go past Uttoxeter but maybe next time we'll stop to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed that film but didn't Meryl Streeps voice get on your nerves that is the only thing that spoiled it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is just so wonderful to "be" with You on those walks, i feel like I am right next to You !
    Super photos!
    Thank You Rosie for sharing your pleasures with us !
    Hugs from very warm Florida !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Rosie its a long time since I left a comment on your blog. Last time was when we were going on a lovely train journey to Shrewsbury and you gave me some details. We had the most lovely day and ended it with a lovely sandwich and a cold drink in a lovely garden cafe on the river.
    We were booking for the next trips and then the company went bust. We were so disappointed and I ma sure we werent alone, as everyone had a wonderful journey going one way and back another way, with a very detailed booklet about everything we passed. Anyway we are looking for somewhere to go this Spring and Summer and I have just been reading back on your blog as it its like a travelogue! If you were us and you were going to Staffs/Derby area where would you choose. We are NT members. Huge ask I know but I have wanted to go everywhere you have been in your blogs
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Catherine, depends if it is a day trip or for several days and also if it is by road or rail. Rail and day trip I'm thinking Lichfield or Buxton. If you have a car and are staying for a few days there are some lovely NT properties Ashbourne and Sudbury Hall spring to mind. Let me know what kind of visit it will be and I'll think some more:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Potteries is an area that I'm totally unfamiliar with, Uttoxeter does look nice from your photos and I like the sound of the kitchens in the Museum. I saw 'Julie and Julia' in the US and really enjoyed it, Julia Childs was quite a woman wasn't she:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rosie, you have just done it again.. introduced us to a new place... thanks for a lovely tour... now we have ANOTHER place to visit (wonderful!). Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Years since I've been to Uttoxeter. It looks an attractive place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uttoxeter is a lovely place, I have always fancied a day at the races. Julie and Julia is a favourite too.

    ReplyDelete