Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good Friday Walk

We set out to walk along the Trent and Mersey Canal from the Aston Marina.  I took you there around this time last year but then the weather was a bit warmer and we walked right to the Nature Reserve and back over the fields to the village of Aston before returning to the marina.  Yesterday was bright but very cold so we didn't walk as far this time but it felt good to be out in the fresh air.


All the snow seemed to have disappeared from the towpath which was a bit muddy in places.  Up above us lapwings flew and then descended into the fields on the opposite side of the canal - I tried so hard to photograph one but they almost completely disappear once down in the grass and scrub.  We also saw buzzards circling above the trees and a skylark or two.

I love these mile posts along the canal.  At Aston it would seem that we were equidistant from Shardlow and Preston Brook

In the distance we could see the village church as we turned onto the towpath and made our way past the lock.

Several boats passed in each direction on their way along the canal

It was great to see the lambs in the fields

They got quite close to the water, I was worried that in their youthful exuberance they might fall in but instinct told them when to turn back.

The dog on board this vessel was fascinated by everything it could see and kept crossing from one side to the other so it didn't miss anything.   It was a lovely walk even though a short one and nice to get out of the city and away from the crowds to find a bit and peace and quiet along the waterway.


I hope you all enjoy the Easter weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Well it could be you walked right past the back of my house but not sure that you got as far as Stone. Then again I had to do a double take at the picture of the black rabbit at Trentham - he looks suspiciously like Mr Ned on a day out! Looking forward to mooching on through some of your posts x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane - we walked the other way towards Burston but have walked from the centre of Stone out towards Aston on a previous walk. Is Mr Ned your pet rabbit? Perhaps he fancied a day out at Trentham. Hope you enjoyed mooching:)

      Delete
  2. How lovely to see the lambs although I am rather drawn to the black sheep! The mile posts along the canal are a great idea - you can see how far you have travelled and how far you have to go! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black lamb seemed sturdier than the white one he or she was a bit scruffy too:)

      Delete
  3. Bless you and your family on this Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Blessing to you and yours too, Ruth:)

      Delete
  4. Like you Rosie I could not wait to get out in the fresh air. Your walk looks lovely. Many thanks for my seeds (which I may get planted in summer if the snow doesn't shift!) And my lovely mag - which makes my efforts of a bunch of daffs looks pitiful. I found and photographed a war memorial in Eyam today with your surname on it - have you noticed this one before? xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that the seeds would grow into flowers you could cut for inside too. One side of our garden is green again the other is still covered in snow - very weird:)

      Delete
    2. p.s. you'll see that I bought the same mag for myself as there were so many pretty things in it:)

      Delete
  5. what a lovely walk and how lovely to see some lambs - I haven't seen any yet, but then the weather has been bad and I haven't been out much in the last few weeks!

    This looks like a lovely place to walk. It is nice to have some sunshine this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the weather is dry, I can cope with the cold as long as it isn't too wet and windy. Perhaps you will see some lambs this weekend:)

      Delete
  6. I enjoy walking beside canals, there's always something going on. Your walk looked lovely but I don't blame you for not staying out too long!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we walk along the canals we have to think about walking the same length back again but we are always saying 'lets just see what's around the next bend and then we'll turn back':)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely walk thank you for sharing it. I wish you and your family a happy Easter. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the walk, Lyn. Happy Easter wishes to you and yours too:)

      Delete
  8. Cute lambs, there are some in a field not far from here, it has been so cold for them this spring. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your walk by the canals. I plan on owning a canal boat one day (in the very distant future), one of my all time dreams! Hopefully your walks are a little warmer now. I do believe the sun has finally made an appearance! Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I’m sure walking along there would be much warmer this week than it was on good Friday. I hope you get your wish and own a canal boat one day:)

      Delete