Saturday, August 06, 2016

Paint Monthly - August

We recently visited the World of Wedgwood, just to see what changes had been made and to walk in the woods nearby.



We had a quick look around and I saw this painting leaning against a wall waiting to be hung as part of a new display in the shop and tea room. 

I recognised it as a George Stubbs and it looked similar to one of the Wedgwood Family which is in the Musuem but I didn't think that it was of them and also of course that, having been left propped against a wall in a public area, it wasn't the original but a print. 

When I got home I did a bit of 'googling' and found out that the original painting is in the Nottingham Museum and Art Gallery collection. 

It was painted by George Stubbs in 1777 and depicts John and Sophia Musters of Colwick Hall in Nottinghamshire.  The painting hides a sad story.  John Musters was a country gentleman and content to stay at his home in Nottinghamshire where became High Sherrif of Nottinghamshire and Master of the South Nottinghamshire Hunt but his wife Sophia after producing four children felt she wanted more from life and the couple drifted apart.  Here is a -  link - to a blog I came across whilst googling.  It tells the tale far better than I can.

Joining in with Barbara at Coastal Ripples for Paint Monthy.

14 comments:

  1. What fabulous story. So much from one painting. I love seeing Stubbs paintings when I visit old houses. It was almost a status symbol to have one in your house I think. Thanks for joining in again Rosie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful yet also sad story isn't it? Just from the chance of seeing that print waiting to be mounted on the wall I learned so much:)

      Delete
  2. These horse paintings by George Stubbs are very beautiful and somehow modern looking. I like that there are not too many details and the red color is great. Thank you for the link too. Shall read it later more thoroughly later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red is splendid isn't it? I hope you enjoy reading the full story of thepainting:)

      Delete
  3. Always enjoy Stubbs paintings, this is rather a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His work is instantly recognisable isn't it?:)

      Delete
  4. That was so interesting - and I enjoyed following the link, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading about the painting:)

      Delete
  5. It was so interesting to read that she had been painted over then added again at a later date! I wonder how many older paintings lay behind newer ones? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet lots of paintings have been altered for various reasons, it is fascinating isn't it?:)

      Delete
  6. I love George Stubbs' animal paintings. The story behind the painting is interesting and rather sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad in many ways for both parties I think. I like Stubbs's paintings:)

      Delete
  7. Such a wonderful tale behind the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it? I learned so much that I didn't know just by finding that link:)

      Delete